Pay Whatever You Want in Jordan

11 Jun

I never believed in the Pay What You Want economy. Then I went to Amman.

IMGP1719

When new economy people talk about pay-what-you-want, they fixate on Radiohead’s In Rainbows and Louis C.K.’s “free” $5 comedy special (both of which are unique masterpieces, but that seems to be beside the point.) The Freakonomics team, which is obsessed with the different twists on these seemingly paradoxical PWYW schemes, went so for as to build an experiment into a preview screening of their movie. The minimum you could pay to attend was nothing, the most was $100.

Of the 5,000 who bought tickets, eighteen paid $100.

This baffled Stephen J. Dubner, who loves it when a contractor asks what he wants to pay for a service. “My answer is always the same,” he says. “’What I want to pay is zero. Does that work for you?’”

For a long time, I shared this sensibility. Then I went to Amman. Outside the central bus station, I asked a cab driver how much it cost to get to my hotel. He asked what I wanted to pay. (His actual words were: “what do you want to pay?”)

IMGP2312

My negotiation skills had recently been hardened in Cairo. I told him I had five dinars. “If you think that’s fair,” he said, without batting an eye. And hit the gas. It was a longer drive than I realized, and the driver was a wealth of valuable intel that would later help me navigate the city. He offered me cigarettes and tea and cookies. By the time we arrived, I realized the ride had been worth more to me than what I told him I’d pay—more than any cab ride I’d ever experienced—and found myself renegotiating something six times higher than my original offer. But I felt good about the transaction.

This sort of transaction played out day after day in Amman, where an entire PWYW economy seemed to exist. No price I offered was ever refused. It culminated at a small tobacco shop, where I found myself holding an authentic Khalil Mamoon hookah. The owner knew immediately that I understood its value. When I asked him the cost, he asked: “what do you want to pay?” I low-balled him with an opening offer of $40 Canadian. (You can pay more than $100 for a knock off back home.)

To my surprise, he extended his hand to shake on the deal. Then walked around his shop, loading up a bag with accessories and tobacco. Clearly I had overpaid, and to make the deal fair, he was now adding to a shopping bag everything that I had touched and smelled before finding the hookah. He added two kilograms of apple tobacco, which he had mixed himself. He squinted a little bit. Then two kilograms more. The transaction was done.

Somewhere between Louis C.K. and the Jordanian hookah man, the church collection plate and the hundred-dollar movie ticket, lies a better scheme than the walls that almost every newspaper in Canada has built around its product in the last few months.

Take The Globe and Mail. The version of their product that rumbles through my Twitter feed is very different than the Globe experience that ends up on my neighbour’s doorstep—or the no man’s land behind the paywall. On Twitter, the reporters are whip smart and unpredictable. Sometimes they’re weird, sometimes neurotic, sometimes conflicted, sometimes deeply hurt, sometimes inspired. It’s like an uneven symphony of a day in the life of Canada. Between those immediate 140-character observations and that other finished product is a staff of editors, who are paid a lot of money to turn a frantic symphony into muzak.

A lifelong reporter at the paper once described the editing system to me as “binary.” A story is either easily understood by a reader or it is not. A Globe editor’s opinion of the reader must be very low. The muzak is steady and predictable. Concerned only with the fact that there is an obvious nut graf, which is repeated in the headline, dek, cutlines and pull quotes. And so the final version, in contrast to the one on Twitter, is incapable of real prescience or anything like a human voice. They’re attempting to sell certainty when those succeeding around them are selling intimacy and a sense that anything can happen if you turn a page or click a link.

It’s a poor formula to make money in this economy. Spend a butt load on good, necessary reporting, which Huffington Post and all the other cold blooded content hijackers plaster up on their websites. Jeff Simpson’s steady wisdom is spruced up with a sassy voice, cut and pasted, framed and reframed, and pushed out through massive social networks to niche and partisan and regional audiences. (Distribution is what these “content generators” do best.) That a reader must now navigate a paywall to read a drabber version on the Globe only makes this e-leeching more lucrative.

Of course, my internal payment mechanism is not so precious to mistake the fact that there can be no raw symphony if I don’t pay for the muzak. However, I am too precious to pay specifically for that muzak And as someone who lives west of Kitchener, trying to get my money’s worth behind that paywall, only reminds me that I’m subsidizing a bunch of reporting about central Canada. The Globe needs to let the audience outside of their geographic and “edited” core pay what it’s worth to them.

Because right now I choose to pay zero.

I feel good about this transaction too. Like I’m sticking it to the muzak editors for ignoring my needs. How would you get me to pay more than zero?

Consider the night at the Berkeley Repertory Theatre, when comedian Mike Daisey gave his entire fee for a show to the audience, and asked him to pay it back to him afterwards—based on what they felt it was worth. He earned back the entire sum plus $1,169. The Globe could charge me five bucks a month for the content, immediately credit it back to my account, empowering me to give it back based on what I use. If the Globe really wanted to engage me, they’d credit a few cents back to my account if I wrote something worthwhile in the comment section or enthusiastically tweeted a link.

Alternatively, I’d spend two bucks a month for a bundle of the stuff I actually want to read. Unedited “extended drafts” by Stephanie Nolen, Mark McKinnon, Simon Houpt, Alexandra Gill, Gary Mason, Sunny Dhillon, David Ebner’s kooky sports writing—there are more than a dozen bylines I’d check off—throw in a weird and engaging piece of long form in the vein of Ian Brown.

I’ve got a couple hundred bucks set aside every month for content, which typically includes a dozen print magazine subscriptions from around the world, several songs a month, some TVsimple beverages, some films, a play, a book or two. What will you give me for it?

CHRIS KOENTGES*

Follow @veryethnic. Facebook friend.

RELATED:

*Part of this essay was published in Marketing magazine.

About these ads

19 Responses to “Pay Whatever You Want in Jordan”

1. bdh63 June 21, 2013 at 8:48 pm #

I bought that $5 “free” special of Louie’s and it was worth more than that to me. I loved his jokes, but I also love his dedication to saying, hey this is enough money, I don’t need to make more. My fans don’t need to pay more. He makes me laugh, he’s a good guy and a redhead. Gotta love him.

2. non-fiction literature June 21, 2013 at 9:57 am #

I never realized that such things happen. I wonder what will happen if pay what you want is adapted by the whole world. But if this happens, it will be very interesting.

3. Jenn Falls June 18, 2013 at 1:47 pm #

I’m very interested in the Pay-What-You-Want model. I wonder what outlets it could be applied to. While there are established artists who are using it, could it be a viable way for new artists to get seen? I like the way this is incorporated into societal expectations in places like Amman. In some ways, it makes you interact with the seller or provider of goods in a more personal way. And that makes it more special.

• veryethnic June 18, 2013 at 2:30 pm #

You’re bang on about the customer/seller interaction. I think the customer really stops to think about the worth of these things. And at the same time, the seller comes to understand the market context for what they’re selling. However you look at it, it adds intangible value to the transaction.

Is there potential for new artists? Amanda Palmer did an interesting TED talk about how pay-what-you-want can work for emerging artists. I know a lot of art galleries and small theaters will do a pay-what-you-want (pay-what-you-can) day. Usually on their slowest day to spread out demand.

Sites like Kroogi and Lost Type are interesting examples with regards to the nuts and bolts of distribution. I haven’t explored ETSY in too much detail, but I’m sure there are some examples there.

• Jenn Falls June 18, 2013 at 2:33 pm #

Funny you mention Amanda Palmer’s TED talk as that’s what has made me look at the Pay-What-You-Want model as a possibility for one of my manuscripts. But it’s a huge leap of faith. Your article makes me think that because of the personal nature of it, it may be worth taking the leap!

• veryethnic June 18, 2013 at 2:43 pm #

I think there are a thousand ways that all of these different distribution models can fall short. But at the end of the day it comes down to the perceived quality of the project.

4. markingmyspot June 18, 2013 at 9:10 am #

I love the concept! Wish they did it in Kuwait!

5. alexswallow June 18, 2013 at 8:06 am #

Reblogged this on one swallow makes a summer.

6. tbaptist June 17, 2013 at 10:11 am #

I have encountered the “pay what you want” option in Israel on several occasions. It may in fact be to the advantage of the seller, especially if the customer does not know the local price and chooses to grossly overpay. You can tell this is the case, as “how much you want to pay?!” is often accompanied by a sly smile. If you offer to pay far too little the seller can refuse, while if you offer too much, he happily profits. Therefore it may be to the advantage of the seller always ask the question.

• veryethnic June 18, 2013 at 7:08 am #

First rule of negotiation: never be the first to suggest a price. I made this mistake in Israel too, and ended up with a half dozen pounds of Dead Sea “healing” mud that was most likely bottled out of a ditch beside the road that morning.

7. The Old Wolf June 16, 2013 at 10:59 pm #

I’ve been to Amman. It’s one of the most intriguing cities in the Middle East – not just because of Philadelphia, or its proximity to Petra, but because of the attitudes and mentalities of the people as you have most interestingly pointed out. Thank you for taking the time to relate the lessons learned there to situations in Western society.

• veryethnic June 17, 2013 at 8:43 am #

Thanks Old Wolf. I found Amman to be more progressive than a number of North American cities I visit. There’s a real pride of place and sense of community building.

• The Old Wolf June 17, 2013 at 1:49 pm #

And, for what it’s worth, we have a very successful restaurant in Salt Lake, the One World Cafe, run by the One World – Everybody Eats foundation. The food is all organic, either donated or locally raised, and it’s incredible. Anyone who can’t afford to pay can eat as well.

8. thecuriousbum June 16, 2013 at 7:05 pm #

Pretty cool. Thanks for the perspective.

9. dearj1diary June 16, 2013 at 11:17 am #

Near where I live in Ireland, there is a “pay as you please” restaurant. This opened nearly two years ago and currently is operating on a huge profit, it’s fantastic!

• veryethnic June 16, 2013 at 1:51 pm #

How’s the food? You reminded me of a restaurant I went to years ago in St. Kilda in Melbourne that was also pay as you please. I notice that they’re still going strong: http://lentilasanything.com/.

• Miss Penny Black June 18, 2013 at 6:51 am #

That’s a fantastic restaurant – there’s 2 of them now:). Providing jobs and training for refugees, too.
        Really enjoyed reading this post. Very thought provoking:).

• veryethnic June 18, 2013 at 12:37 pm #

Thanks Miss Penny Black. I forgot that they’d integrated a job training program into that place. I think consumer awareness is (slowly) changing in a way that these profoundly socially conscious ventures have a significant competitive advantage over the Starbucks down the street.

• dearj1diary June 30, 2013 at 5:07 am #

The food is wonderful! They serve lots of different style recipes often from different countries. Very unusual, different from what we’re used to around here! Here they are: http://www.payasyouplease.ie/